Supporting a child on your own is difficult both emotionally and financially. That’s why custodial parents have the right to child support. There’s only one issue: non-custodial parents can quite easily dodge these court-ordered payments. State assigned child support agencies deal with these kinds of cases every day, but they aren’t always successful in forcing the NCP to pay up. The result? Mountains of back child support that you deserve but can’t get.

There’s a difference between back child support and retroactive child support. Don’t make the mistake of confusing the two. Typically child support is due as soon as the courts officially grant it. Retroactive child support factors in the time before the support was granted in the courts. An example is an unmarried NCP paying for prenatal and labor expenses starting from the birth of the child.

Back child support, on the other hand, is simply court-ordered payments that the NCP fails to pay. It may only involve a few missing payments while the NCP was out of work. It could also involve negligence, like the famous case of Jon Gosselin, resulting in past due support dating back years.

Thankfully, you can seek back support even if the state system failed you. There are child support enforcement agencies that focus their energies on helping those who have gone without help for far too long. Unlike public agencies, these private companies have the time and resources needed to track down NCPs and negotiate payments.

Some companies can even help those with adult children. The team at Support Collectors use the legal system to their advantage, so they aren’t hindered by things like the current age of your child or how long you’ve gone without support. Whether it’s only a few payments or the entirety of your court-ordered support that’s missing, the crew at Support Collectors have a high chance of getting your due.

What that is will depend on what the court decided when you were first granted financial assistance. The courts use different sources of information when determining what you’re owed. Usually the income of the parents, the number and ages of the children, basic living expenses and school fees, and if a child or children have special needs for an illness or disability are all considered when calculating support.

If you’ve been raising your child while your overdue child support keeps growing, don’t go without any longer. Find a child support enforcement agency that specializes in back support, and you’ll finally get the money you and your child deserve.

Comments are closed.